Corset continued

This Saturday in corset class, we put in all the grommets, the busk, and sewed all the pieces together. The teacher had prizes for anyone who finished, but no one came close (she said that in 9 years of teaching this class, 2 people have finished).

A few in progress shots of the corset:

Sooo many grommets. I stood on a chair to push the grommet press, since my shoulder started hurting.

Sooo many grommets. I stood on a chair to push the grommet press, since my shoulder started hurting.

I ended up inserting the stud half of the busk in the wrong side at first (and this was after joking with the teaching about inserting busks incorrectly, and tracking this really closely)

I pried it out, and re-inserted the busk.

After piles of ironing and sewing pieces together, this is where I ended the day:

Finished front

4 final backNow I need to sew boning channels, bind the top and bottom, add a bit of trim, and I’m done!

I’m considering buying some new boning. I bought everything at Lacis, but they only had 1 inch increments. Turns out my corset length is prone towards half inches, and I’m feeling particular enough that I want the more-correct sized bones.

 

Advertisements
This entry was posted in 1850s, Corsets, Undergarments, victorian corset. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s